db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: limitation in stored procedure names
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:08:49 GMT
Hi Nic,

The "." is used to separate identifiers in valid SQL names. For a schema
object like a procedure, the name can have only one dot in it. The piece
before the dot identifies a  unique schema in the database and the piece
after the dot identifies a unique procedure name inside that schema. The
compiler doesn't know what to do with the second dot. The compiler
doesn't know if you are trying to create a procedure named
"CUSTOM.IPAPOST_MESSAGE.IPA_POST_AXIOSS_RESPONSE" in the current schema
or a procedure named "IPA_POST_AXIOSS_RESPONSE" in the
"CUSTOM.IPA.POST_MESSAGE" schema or a procedure named
"IPA_POST_MESSAGE.IPA_POST_AXIOSS_RES" in the "CUSTOM" schema. If you
double quote the whole name, then the compiler will not be confused:

CREATE PROCEDURE
"custom.ipa_post_message.ipa_post_axioss_response" ...

If you do this, then whenever you invoke the procedure, you must invoke
it using the double quoted name. E.g.,:

CALL "custom.ipa_post_message.ipa_post_axioss_response" (...)

Hope this helps,
-Rick