db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: threads and derby
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:32:00 GMT
Brandon Dohman skrev:

> I’ve currently created a multithreaded server that is using 1 class to
> do all of the database interactions when receiving commands from the
> client programs.
>

> My question:  When my server code has multiple threads going, will the
> database, or the java code for that matter, wait until the current
> threads transactions are done before allowing another thread to take
> control of the database?
>

> I have created a simple user login system that allows access to a
> machine, and there will be possible multiple logins going on at the
> same time (very possible it will never happen at the exact same time)
> but along with logins, admin users will be updating information in the
> database.  And I just want to make sure I won’t crash my database, if
> I have operations trying to access things at the same time.

Hello Brandon,

In general, Derby is thread safe and supports multiple connections / users.
Concurrent accesses will be synchronized internally to avoid data
corruption and other problems.

To answer your question, can you elaborate on how you access your database?
For instance:
 a) Are you using a single or multiple connections?
 b) Is autocommit used, or are you committing your transactions explicitly?

If you answer these questions, I'm sure you will get more feedback.

regards,
--
Kristian