db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <adam.ha...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject dropping a schema, shutting down and restarting in unit test run
Date Sat, 05 Apr 2008 12:57:03 GMT
I have a simple requirement in my unit test run to run integration tests
on my java application's persistence layer.

Each test must (1) create the schema, (2) insert the fresh test data,
(3) run the test and (4) clean up and remove the database.

The tests are also run as a batch against Hypersonic, MySQL, Oracle and
PostgreSQL, so to keep it simple and cross-DB compatible, I am trying to
keep non-standard stuff ring-fenced on the JDBC URL and in the SQL
script file - there is one script for Derby, one for MySQL etc.

I wrote a setup routine for all tests which would drop all tables from
the given schema and then drop the schema (unless default). Derby did
not like this! After dropping all the tables in the schema, Derby always
complains that the schema cannot be dropped because it isn't empty.
Searching the mailing list archive, I found no mention of this behaviour
so I assume I have done something wrong or hit a bug (v 10.3.2.1). Does
anybody recognise the problem?

thanks in advance
Adam