db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Six Fried Rice <tech...@sixfriedrice.com>
Subject Re: Managing many databases
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 20:14:49 GMT
Rick:

Thank you very much for your responses. I have a few followup
questions below:

On Apr 15, 2008, at 1:03 PM, Rick Hillegas wrote:

> Please take a look at the section titled "Accessing a read-only
> database in a zip/jar file" in the Derby Developer's Guide: http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/devguide/

>  The jars can live anywhere in the file system or on the classpath.

Ok, super. I had read that information, but I wasn't sure if that
applied to embedded derby, or also to the derby network server. Can I
connect to a derby server and then target a jar file at an arbitrary
location? Also, does this perform reasonably well? My jars will be
between 5 and 50 MB. Of course I will do testing as well. Just
gathering info before I start writing the server-side code.

> Derby has no heuristic for knowing where to look for databases.  I
> think that database discovery has to be done by your application.
> Basically, you need to locate the database via a JDBC connection URL.

I'm thinking about derby network server here again. My understanding
is that I launch the server with a DERBY_HOME and it knows about
databases as named directories inside this home. Is that correct? Can
you connect to a derby server and then connect to a database at any
filesystem path? And if things do need to be in DERBY_HOME, can I just
copy or symlink a directory to this location at the file system level,
then use JDBC to connect to the database by name?

Thanks!

Geoff