db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Six Fried Rice <tech...@sixfriedrice.com>
Subject Re: Managing many databases
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 20:18:41 GMT
Thanks for the input. All excellent stuff...

One point of clarification:

> Give yourself lots of memory and lots of file descriptors. Use the
> most
> modern JVM you have access to. And, if you're going to put thousands
> of
> multi-gigabyte individual databases onto a single filesystem, you'll
> need a multi-terabyte file system, so make sure you get a solid server
> operating system that can handle that.

The original XML reports are into the multi-gigabyte size on occasion,
but XML is inherently inefficient and these files are de-normalized.
Once we get them into derby, 1GB of XML boils down to a 20 to 30MB
derby database. So we won't have a major space problem with reasonable
hardware.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Geoff