db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Brandon Dohman" <B-Doh...@gotcg.net>
Subject SQLSyntaxErrorException:
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:25:28 GMT
Wheren running the command below

 rs = stmnt.executeQuery("SELECT PDFLOCATION from FILES WHERE PDFNAME = " + patron.getPDFName().toLowerCase());

I'm getting this error message.

java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: Column 'TESTME' is either not in any table in the FROM list
or appears within a join specification and is outside the scope of the join specification
or appears in a HAVING clause and is not in the GROUP BY list. If this is a CREATE or ALTER
TABLE  statement then 'TESTME' is not a column in the target table.
        at org.apache.derby.client.am.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.client.am.Statement.executeQuery(Unknown Source)
        at DBServer.conversation.run(conversation.java:691)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: org.apache.derby.client.am.SqlException: Column 'TESTME' is either not in any table
in the FROM list or appears within a join specification and is outside the scope of the join
specification or appears in a HAVING clause and is not in the GROUP BY list. If this is a
CREATE or ALTER TABLE  statement then 'TESTME' is not a column in the target table.
        at org.apache.derby.client.am.Statement.completeSqlca(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetStatementReply.parsePrepareError(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetStatementReply.parsePRPSQLSTTreply(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetStatementReply.readPrepareDescribeOutput(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.derby.client.net.StatementReply.readPrepareDescribeOutput(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.client.net.NetStatement.readPrepareDescribeOutput_(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.client.am.Statement.readPrepareDescribeOutput(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.client.am.Statement.flowExecute(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.client.am.Statement.executeQueryX(Unknown Source)
        ... 3 more

I'm not sure why I'm receiving this message.  testme is in the database.

Could it possibly not be matching on the Case of the piece I'm looking for?  PDFNAME is stored
in the database as a VARCHAR