db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: why you're not winning
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 19:30:55 GMT
Bob Power <b_power@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm moving from sql server to derby and I just spent
> about 2 hrs looking at migration options and in
> particular ddlutils - I've given up - I'm going to do
> it manually - I develop on Windows (unfortunately) and
> am used to downloading and using software - much as
> Netbeans operates ( possibly my favourite software
> ever ) - If you want your movement and software to
> gain significant ground against Microsoft et al you
> have to understand that MOST users are NOT unix geeks
> and most developers currently in the Windows
> environment do not have the patience to deal with
> building software they are using but not actually
> developing ESPECIALLY when it involves tools and
> environmewnts they are not familiar with. I hope you
> can take this on board and spread the thought around -
> the user ( and that includes developers using your
> tools ) should be required to do as near to nothing as
> is possible to reap the benefits of your work -
> otherwise your work gets ignored - there simply isn't
> the time to read all the documents and play with all
> the software.

> re ddlutils ; I gave up when I got to the SUBVERSION
> project and notes about different versions of apache
> server.
Hi Bob,

thank you for taking the time to give us feedback, we really appreciate
it :)

It is, however, a little bit unclear to me what your real problem
is. You want to migrate an existing database from MS SQL Server to
Derby using ddlutils? And you don't think the documentation
is good enough? But surely, that is a complaint that can be better
addressed by the ddlutils maintainers?

They have their own mailing lists:
http://db.apache.org/ddlutils/mail-lists.html

--