db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Milind W <y...@hotmail.com>
Subject jdbc:default:connection fails
Date Sun, 23 Mar 2008 07:08:48 GMT

hi,
I have written a java function as below. I am testing it using squirrel sql client and embedded
derby. The function is being invoked but jdbc:default:connection returns null. I have tried
both adding and removing the Class.forName line with not much difference.
My errorlog file shows me a java.lang.NullPointerException and my execution log has not gone
beyond step 1 (that is it fails at getconnection). Can someone pelase help.
Cheers
-Milind

package com.myorg.derbyfunctions;
import java.sql.*;
import java.util.*;
import java.io.*;

public class ActiveOrg
{
    public static String GetActiveOrg (String status)
    {
    String org = "original";
    try
    {
    BufferedWriter out2 = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter("C:\\ActiveOrgLog.txt"));
    out2.write("1");
    out2.flush();
    //Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver").newInstance();
        Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:default:connection");
    out2.write("2");
    out2.flush();
    String query = "INSERT into obj(TYPE) values('+status+')";
    out2.write("3");
    out2.flush();
    System.out.println("Query"+query);
    Statement stmnt = conn.createStatement();
     stmnt.execute(query);
                stmnt.close();
        conn.close();
    out2.close();
    }
           catch (Exception ex)
        {
        try
        {
        BufferedWriter out = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter("C:\\ActiveOrgError.txt"));
        out.write(ex.toString());
        out.close();
        }
        catch(Exception ex2)
        {
        ex2.printStackTrace();
        }
        }
    return org;

    }
}

/*
Declared as follows:
CREATE FUNCTION GetActiveOrg (status STRING)
RETURNS VARCHAR(255)
LANGUAGE JAVA
PARAMETER STYLE JAVA
READS SQL DATA
EXTERNAL NAME 'com.mymunshi.derbyfunctions.ActiveOrg.GetActiveOrg'

Invoked as follows
VALUES getactiveorg('Active')
*/