db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Peterson, John" <John.Peter...@pega.com>
Subject RE: Invalid XJ215 Error?
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:45:56 GMT
Thanks for clearing this up for me.

------

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

Actually in section 15.2.5. of JDBC 4 specification there is this note:

Note - Some JDBC driver implementations may also implicitly close the
ResultSet when the ResultSet type is TYPE_FORWARD_ONLY and the next
method of ResultSet returns false.

So Derby's current behaviour is allowed by the spec.

Note that in the example you show the Blob becomes invalid due to the
commit, which must be because you are in auto-commit mode. In non-auto
commit mode the ResultSet would still be closed but the Blob object
should remain valid until the the transaction is committed or rolled
back.

Dan.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peterson, John [mailto:John.Peterson@pega.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:31 PM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: RE: Invalid XJ215 Error?

I am unable to locate in any JDBC specification
(http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc/download.html#102spec) the
requirement that a ResultSet should be closed when all of the rows
retrieved.  I also do not see this behavior with MSSQL (2000 or 2005),
or with Oracle (9 or 10).  Also, this functionality must have been
recently fixed or added for Derby 10.3 because I did not see this
behavior in Derby 10.2 or 10.1 either.

John