db-derby-user mailing list archives

From David Sitsky <s...@nuix.com>
Subject ERROR XSDG2: Invalid checksum on Page Page(0,Container(0, 1313))
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2008 00:24:30 GMT
I have an intensive data-processing application which utilises Apache
Lucene and Derby, using 6 quad-core machines running Vista SP1 and/or
Vista Server 2008.

I have found after 5 or 10 hours of processing, one or a couple of my
worker processes start reporting the following error in the derby.log file:

ERROR XSDG2: Invalid checksum on Page Page(0,Container(0, 1313))

The worker process never seems to recover.  Derby locates the error,
reboots the database, but seems to inevitably report the same error
again.  It is always page 1313, and what is extra strange is it doesn't
matter which machine it occurs on, it is always page 1313!  I know 13 is
unlikely, but twice is a row must be extra unlucky. :)

The quad-core machines have been configured with both hardware and
software raid, but the same error has been seen.  Windows does not
report any disk errors in the event log.

The error is difficult to reproduce.  My runs typically run for 24
hours, involving 22 separate JVM processes spread across the machines,
each running their own Derby embedded database.  Sometimes I can get
through the run without any issues - sometimes I might see one or two
processes with this issue, and it seems to pick a different quad-core
machine each time, so the possibility of a hardware error seems like
unlikely, especially given it is always page 1313.

I have tried both 10.3.1.4 and 10.3.2.1 with the same results.

Lucene doesn't report any problems with its index, so given all the
above evidence, I am starting to lean more to a software issue than
hardware.

I have attached three derby.log files from different machines.  Does
anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

--
Cheers,
David

Nuix Pty Ltd