db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "John H. Embretsen" <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: how to start database server from w/in java code
Date Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:24:34 GMT
Brandon Dohman wrote:
> I’m going to be deploying a java desktop app, and I am curious on how to
> start the database server from within the code.  I have done all of my
> testing through netbeans, and have been able to get all of the
> connections and transactions to go smoothly, but the database was
> started by using the tools > javadb > start db server option in netbeans.
>

> With deployment, I’ll need to be able to start the code from within my
> java code.

There are several ways to start the network server from Java code. The
Derby Server and Administration guide [1] describes at least two ways in
the topic called "Starting the Network Server from a Java application":

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/adminguide/tadminconfig814963.html
(for Derby 10.3)

Using the org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl API [2] probably
gives you the most flexibility.

If you want to start the server as a separate process instead of
embedded in the same JVM as your application, you can use Runtime.exec()
calls from your Java code.

--
John

[1]: http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/adminguide/