db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Newbie question
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:51:27 GMT
Hi Chris,

I may be misunderstanding your question so please bear with me. The
upcoming 10.4 release of Derby will provide a feature called Table
Functions. This will let you make your external data look like a table
to Derby so that you can issue SELECTs against it. The feature is
described by the functional spec attached to this JIRA: DERBY-716. User
documentation for this feature can be found in the alpha Developer's
Guide in a section titled "Programming Derby-style table functions":
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/devguide/

This only covers SELECT functionality, however. This will not handle
INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE on your external data. I think you are asking
whether Derby provides a plugin facility so that you can use Derby to
perform all of these operations against your external data. If your
INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE needs are simple, then you could write database
procedures to handle these operations against your external data.

Hope this helps,
-Rick