db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Invalid XJ215 Error?
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:39:30 GMT
Peterson, John wrote:
> I am unable to locate in any JDBC specification
> (http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc/download.html#102spec) the
> requirement that a ResultSet should be closed when all of the rows
> retrieved.  I also do not see this behavior with MSSQL (2000 or 2005),
> or with Oracle (9 or 10).  Also, this functionality must have been
> recently fixed or added for Derby 10.3 because I did not see this
> behavior in Derby 10.2 or 10.1 either.

JDBC 3.0 section 10.1
  The result set is closed as soon as one of the following occurs:
   -  all of the rows have been retrieved

JDBC 4.0 section 15.2.5
Note – Some JDBC driver implementations may also implicitly close the
ResultSet when the ResultSet type is TYPE_FORWARD_ONLY and the next
method of ResultSet returns false.

I believe this closing of result sets has always been in Derby.

Dan.