db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Narayanan <V.Naraya...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: jdbc:default:connection fails
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2008 03:57:49 GMT
Milind W wrote:
> Yes your right. I had to change that, forgot to update the sample.
> The function does get invoked when I call it using squirrel and I see
> the ActiveOrgError.txt and it does not go beyond the get connection line.
> Did the jdbc:default:connection work for you or did  you get any
> errors for that line?
> Thanks
> -Milind
>

> > Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 22:00:32 +0530
> > From: V.Narayanan@Sun.COM
> > Subject: Re: jdbc:default:connection fails
> > To: derby-user@db.apache.org
> >

> > > /*
> > > Declared as follows:
> > > CREATE FUNCTION GetActiveOrg (status STRING)
> > > RETURNS VARCHAR(255)
> > > LANGUAGE JAVA
> > > PARAMETER STYLE JAVA
> > > READS SQL DATA
> > > EXTERNAL NAME 'com.mymunshi.derbyfunctions.ActiveOrg.GetActiveOrg'
> > >

> > You have used the STRING datatype here, running the same command in
> gives me
> >
> > ERROR 42X01: Syntax error: Encountered "status" at line 1, column 31.
> >
> > changing String to VARCHAR(20) makes this definition work.
> >
> > Narayanan
Hi,

I did not try your entire program but reduced it to the following

package com.myorg.derbyfunctions;

import java.sql.*;
import java.util.*;
import java.io.*;

public class ActiveOrg {
    public static String GetActiveOrg(String status) throws SQLException {
        Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection
                ("jdbc:default:connection");
        if (conn == null) {
            return "null";
        } else {
            return "not null";
        }
    }
}

So if it works it is supposed to return not null

I then set my classpath to

/home/vn/work/workspaces/freshworkspace/trunk/classes:/home/vn/work/test_programs/ReturnTrueFalse/build/classes/

basically

1) the place where the derby classes are present and
2) the class I want to run is present

then did the following using ij

ij version 10.5
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:mydb10;create=true';
ij> CREATE FUNCTION GetActiveOrg (status VARCHAR(20)) RETURNS
VARCHAR(30) LANGUAGE JAVA PARAMETER STYLE JAVA READS SQL DATA EXTERNAL
NAME 'com.myorg.derbyfunctions.ActiveOrg.GetActiveOrg';
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij>  values GetActiveOrg('hello');
1

not
null

1 row selected
ij>

I get not null indicating that it works. I guess your program is just an
extension of this.

Narayanan