db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mayuresh Nirhali <Mayuresh.Nirh...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: ERROR 08000: Connection closed by unknown interrupt
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:12:33 GMT
Moving to derby-dev.

I agree with Francois here.

In a typical web based application environment where derby is supposed
to work well with various frameworks (connection pooling/ORM etc), this
issue is going to be very critical. The system will break due to these
external interrupts.

I found the following thread on the derby list, where the same problem
has been reported before.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-user/200508.mbox/%3C42EFC11D.8000807@aol.com%3E

Another interesting thread about Java Concurrency,
http://www.nabble.com/safe-interruption-td12605694.html

Derby-2564 is also related.

My intention here is not only to make everybody aware of this issue of
such complexity and importance, but also to start discussion on how we
can deal with this. In my opinion, it is going to be difficult to
identify all the cases where such interrupts will pass through the
cracks in derby system. But, I believe, we have 2 cases (derby151 and
LogToFile.flush) surfaced now. Also, It is going to be tricky to
identify how to deal with such InterruptedExceptions, which needs to
detailed discussion.

ideas/comments ?

P.S. I am not going to miss the discussion till monday when I get back
on my email.

Mayuresh