db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby and Bitronix JTA connection failure
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:31:20 GMT
Brett Wooldridge wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am stuck trying to figure out an issue with using the Bitronix JTA
> Transaction Manager with Derby (v10.3.2.1).  Here’s the details:
>
> I’m running Derby as a network server on the standard port.  I have a
> unit test which uses the ClientXADatasource to connect to my Derby
> database, and this succeeds.
>
> The client code looks like this:
>
>         ClientXADataSource ds = new ClientXADataSource();
>        ds.setDatabaseName("ziptie");        ds.setPortNumber(1527);
>        ds.setServerName("localhost");        Connection connection =
> ds.getConnection();
> As I said, this client connects successfully, and the derby.log records
> this:
>
> Connection number: 2.
> 2008-03-16 11:45:05.302 GMT Thread[DRDAConnThread_6,5,derby.daemons]
> (DATABASE = ziptie), (DRDAID = {2}), Apache Derby Network Server
> connected to database ziptie
>
> Then, I try to start an application which uses the Bitronix TM to
> perform a similar connection to Derby.  However, this connection fails
> as recorded by the derby.log as well:
>
> Connection number: 3.
> 2008-03-16 11:45:10.817 GMT Thread[DRDAConnThread_6,5,derby.daemons]
> (DATABASE = ziptie), (DRDAID = {3}), Database not available
>
> The properties for Bitronix look like this:
>
> resource.ds.className=org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientXADataSource
> resource.ds.uniqueName=ziptie
> resource.ds.driverProperties.databaseName=ziptie
> resource.ds.driverProperties.serverName=localhost
> resource.ds.driverProperties.portNumber=1527

Hello Brett,

I have never used BTM, but I found it on Codehaus and downloaded the
newUserDemo (look under "New user's guide"). The demo already uses
Derby, but obtains the connections through an embedded XA data source.

I modified the demo to use ClientXADataSource, and it worked fine.
Could you have a look, maybe try to replace the settings with your
specific settings, and see if it works for you?
(to use it against your own server, you only need to create one simple
table in your database).
If the demo works, but your application doesn't, are you able to modify
the demo to reproduce the problem?
What distinguishes your setup from the simple setup in the demo?

I tried with Derby 10.2.2.0, 10.3.2.1 and 10.5 alpha (development version).

Sorry I can't provide more help, but maybe the demo thing can give us a
lead to follow?

FYI: I did not check under which license the demo is distributed.

regards,
--
Kristian

[ snip - DRDA traces ]