db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Oystein Grovlen <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: ERROR 08000: Connection closed by unknown interrupt
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 22:04:19 GMT
Thierry Roussel - Sun Microsystems wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are using Derby in our product and we got the following exception
> (see full trace in attached log)
>
> ERROR 08000: Connection closed by unknown interrupt.
>    at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown
> Source)
>    at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.interrupt(Unknown
> Source)
>    at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.log.LogToFile.flush(Unknown Source)
>    at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.log.LogToFile.flush(Unknown Source)
>    at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.log.FileLogger.flush(Unknown Source)
>    at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.Xact.prepareCommit(Unknown
> Source)
>    at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.Xact.commit(Unknown Source)
>    at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.Xact.commit(Unknown Source)
>
> Can  somebody give me please some hints about what it may mean ?

This means that the thread accessing the database have been interrupted.
  Do you have code that may interrupt running threads?

In this particular case it happened while the thread was flushing log to
disk during commit.  From the log it seems that the db is not able to
recover from this; it is not able to rollback the transaction, and the
database is shutdown since it will be left in an inconsistent state.

I think this indicates a bug in Derby.  For robustness, it needs to
handle that threads are interrupted.

--
Øystein