db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Narayanan <V.Naraya...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Activity 4 Error: No suitable driver found...
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 05:45:09 GMT
Chris wrote:
> As you may remember, I have a copy of Derby that came pre-installed
> with ColdFusion 8 Developer's Edition.  But I want to use Derby with
> PHP, so I have installed the 10.3.2.1 <http://10.3.2.1> binary
> distribution and am progressing through /Getting Started with Derby/.
>
> When I run WwdClient in Activity 4 of the /Self-study tutorial for
> users new to Derby/, I get the following error.  (For completeness,
> the output from running WwdEmbedded comes first.)
>
>     java WwdEmbedded
>
>     org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver loaded.
>     Connected to database jdbcDemoDB
>     Enter wish-list item (enter exit to end):
>
>     exit
>     Closed connection
>     Database shut down normally
>     Getting Started With Derby JDBC program ending.
>
>     java WwdClient
>
>         >>> Please check your CLASSPATH variable   <<<
>
>      . . . exception thrown:

you are basically trying to run derby in the client/server mode of
operation.

You need to have derbyclient.jar in your classpath.

You also need to start the derby network server

You can find instructions on starting the derby network server here

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/adminguide/tadmincbdjhhfd.html

Narayanan