db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby, Java RMI, Tomcat 5 and an annoying classpath
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 13:06:36 GMT
rebels_mascot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having issues with a classpath. I've made an rmi chat app running on
> tomcat 5. I started using Derby recently but I'm having problems with where
> to place the derby.jar or how to specify the classpath for it.
>
> I've tried:
>
> CLASSPATH=.;%DERBY_HOME%\lib\derby.jar
>
> I also tried putting the derby.jar file in the bin directory of my project,
> i.e. where my class files are, and in commons/lib in tomcat and chat/lib (my
> own folder) but again no luck. I've also tried other options of the
> classpath but nothing.
>
> The java code for the Class.for... is:
>
> public static Connection getConnection()
>     {
>         dbURL =
> "jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/dsChatTestDB;create=true;user=admin;password=admin";
>
>         try
>         {
>
> Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver").newInstance();*
>
>             // Get a connection
>             conn = DriverManager.getConnection(dbURL);
>         }
>         catch(ClassNotFoundException cNFEx)
>         {
>

> I tried out a test app (non rmi or tomcat) in eclipse using the same
> connection strings above and they work fine.
>
> Can anyone help on where to put the jar file or what classpath to specify.
> Tis wrecking my head :D

Your dbURL is for the client driver, and will not work with the embedded driver
(derby.jar).

If you want to connect to a Derby server, you (may) need to load
"org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver" and include derbyclient.jar in your app's
classpath.

If you are not running a Derby server, you need to remove "//localhost:1527/"
from your dbURL, to create a connection to an embedded database.

More information is available e.g. in the "Quick start for experienced JDBC
users" section of the Getting Started guide, at
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/getstart/cgsquck19524.html

See also http://db.apache.org/derby/quick_start.html

--
John