db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Narayanan <V.Naraya...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: NPE getting length of Blob
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2008 06:59:42 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Daniel Noll wrote:
>> On Wednesday 05 March 2008 13:54:19 Raymond Kroeker wrote:
>>> Hi Daniel,
>>>
>>>     What appears to be happening is that the same connection is being
>>> returned by getConnection2().  Basically the implementation of the
>>> pool is
>>> not thread safe.
>>
>> I thought reusing the connection was the entire point of connection
>> pooling.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>> I can't see how getConnection2() could return the same object to two
>> separate requestors, given that:
>>   - the method is synchronized
>>   - it only reuses a connection if it's in the recycledConnections stack
>>   - connections can only get into the stack after a connectionClosed
>> event.
>>
>> Unless Derby is sending connectionClosed before the connection is
>> actually closed, I don't see how it could happen.
>
> That sounds similar to DERBY-2142 ...

> Dan.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3379 for the client. Guess
this issue is the reason for the failure.
I agree with the analysis by Raymond.

It works for embedded because DERBY-2142 has been fixed for embedded.
DERBY-3379 has been opened afresh
for client.

Looks like the issue is being actively worked on. Guess we would expect
a resolution soon.

Thank you for the effort taken to analyze the issue Daniel and Raymond.
Thanks for the pointer to the JIRA Dan.

Narayanan