db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bob Power <b_po...@yahoo.com>
Subject why you're not winning
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 16:45:17 GMT
Hi there,

I'm moving from sql server to derby and I just spent
about 2 hrs looking at migration options and in
particular ddlutils - I've given up - I'm going to do
it manually - I develop on Windows (unfortunately) and
am used to downloading and using software - much as
Netbeans operates ( possibly my favourite software
ever ) - If you want your movement and software to
gain significant ground against Microsoft et al you
have to understand that MOST users are NOT unix geeks
and most developers currently in the Windows
environment do not have the patience to deal with
building software they are using but not actually
developing ESPECIALLY when it involves tools and
environmewnts they are not familiar with. I hope you
can take this on board and spread the thought around -
the user ( and that includes developers using your
tools ) should be required to do as near to nothing as
is possible to reap the benefits of your work -
otherwise your work gets ignored - there simply isn't
the time to read all the documents and play with all
the software.

re ddlutils ; I gave up when I got to the SUBVERSION
project and notes about different versions of apache
server.

cheers,

Bob.