db-derby-user mailing list archives

From rebels_mascot <bpberming...@gmail.com>
Subject Derby, Java RMI, Tomcat 5 and an annoying classpath
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 12:17:26 GMT

Hi,

I'm having issues with a classpath. I've made an rmi chat app running on
tomcat 5. I started using Derby recently but I'm having problems with where
to place the derby.jar or how to specify the classpath for it.

I've tried:

CLASSPATH=.;%DERBY_HOME%\lib\derby.jar

I also tried putting the derby.jar file in the bin directory of my project,
i.e. where my class files are, and in commons/lib in tomcat and chat/lib (my
own folder) but again no luck. I've also tried other options of the
classpath but nothing.

The java code for the Class.for... is:

public static Connection getConnection()
    {
        dbURL =
"jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/dsChatTestDB;create=true;user=admin;password=admin";

        try
        {

Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver").newInstance();*

            // Get a connection
            conn = DriverManager.getConnection(dbURL);
        }
        catch(ClassNotFoundException cNFEx)
        {

I tried out a test app (non rmi or tomcat) in eclipse using the same
connection strings above and they work fine.

Can anyone help on where to put the jar file or what classpath to specify.
Tis wrecking my head :D

Thanks,
Brian