db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kai Ponte <...@perfectreign.com>
Subject Re: Question about Embedded Derby
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 19:52:31 GMT
On Thursday 27 March 2008 12:34:50 pm bruehlicke wrote:
> I let let user pick a directory (either via a property or via a file
> selector) than I set the derby.system.home property programtically like
>
>        System.setProperty("derby.system.home", dbLocation);
>
> The value of dbLocation when you print it is for ex.  C:\Documents and
> Settings\fred\xyz  (that is the way you should set the value) but when you
> use the debugger it will of course show up as   C:\\Documents and
> Settings\\fred\\xyz
>
> After this value is set I use the URL like   jdbc:derby:myDB;create=true
> and the database myDB is created under the given directory.
>
> Hope this helps
> B-)

That would work out well.

On my apps, I usually place the database - and various config files - in a
folder under the user's home folder.

I have line -

File strHomeFolder = new File ( System.getProperty("user.home") + "/.MyApp");

I then append a database folder under this for the database.

In any case, when I'm downgrading to legacy operating systems that still use
drive letters like Wintendo - I have one vista, one Xp and one win2K
machine - I do the followng

jdbc:derby:C:\Path\To\data

HTH!
--