db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Raymond Kroeker" <raym...@raykroeker.com>
Subject Re: Derby Transaction Log Shipping
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 18:04:47 GMT
Hi Duncan,
    I've got some similar requirements.  What I was going to attempt (looks
good; but I have no idea about practice) was ha-jdbc.  A jdbc driver that
allows you to write to several identical dbs simultaneously.  There's
overhead in insert/update/delete statements but it might be worth a shot.

http://ha-jdbc.sourceforge.net

Raymond Kroeker

On Feb 7, 2008 7:04 AM, Jørgen Løland <Jorgen.Loland@sun.com> wrote:

> Duncan Groenewald wrote:
> > Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to get some kind of log shipping
> > working with Derby such that it is possible to create a second database
> > instance that runs and periodically loads transaction log dumps from the
> > primary database ?
> >
> > Is it even possible to load a transaction log while a database is
> running ?
> >
> > Basically I want to have a second copy of the database running in read
> > only mode but still reasonably up to date, say every 15 minutes.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Duncan Groenewald
> > mobile: +61406291205
> > email: dagroenewald@optusnet.com.au
>
> Hi Duncan,
>
> There is currently no such feature in Derby, but the next release will
> include asynchronous replication based on log shipping from a master
> version to a slave version of the database. However, the first version
> of replication will not allow read operations on the slave database.
>
> Take a look at the functional specification for replication on this
> page: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2872
>
> If what is described there suits your needs, you'll find this
> functionality in the next release of Derby (ETA in a few months). If a
> read-only second copy of the database is what you really need, I think
> you will have to hack something together using scripts outside Derby for
> now. I think I can guide you through that, but it *will* be pretty messy
> and I have not tried it myself. Please let me know :)
>
> Hope this helps
> --
> Jørgen Løland

Raymond Kroeker