db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Brad Moore <bradm6...@hotmail.com>
Subject Methods for upgrading database and application
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2008 00:51:42 GMT
Hi,

I am currently working on converting our client/server application from an MS Access database
to using Derby.  We have approximately 40 sites that use our software and each one can have
from 1 to 10 client computers that connect to the central database.

The latest issue I have come across is how to handle the application and database upgrades
at our client sites.

Our current process is automated and works like this:
    1. Check on our website to see if there is a new release available
    2. If there is a new release available, download the new client application and the scripts
to upgrade the database
    3. Determine if anyone is currently connected to the database prior to performing the
upgrade so we are not altering tables while someone is doing work.
    4. If anyone is connected to the database we abort the upgrade and inform the user that
they should make sure all other users are disconnected before performing the upgrade.
    5. If there are no users connected to the database then we rename the Access file so that
no users can connect to the database while we're performing the upgrade.
    6. Perform the database upgrade.
    7. Rename the Access database file back to it's original name so it is available for use
again.
    8. Upgrade the client application files.

Currently we are able to determine if anyone is connected to the Access database by just trying
to rename the .mdb file.  If this fails then the database is in use.  I have been unable to
find a good way to determine if there are any users currently connected to the Derby database.
 I have found mentions of calling NetworkServerControl runtimeinfo and looking at the Active
Sessions, but I don't know of a way to call that function and return the Active Sessions results
to the installer program that I am using (Indigo Rose TrueUpdate).

Is there any other method for determining the number of users that are currently connected
to a Derby database?

Also, is there a way to lock the database so that no users can connect to it while the upgrade
is being performed?

Is there anyone else that has a similar type of situation, and how did you handle it?

Thanks,

Brad