db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas J. Taylor" <Thomas.Tay...@Miami.edu>
Subject RE: Recovering from 'Failed to Start Database'
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2008 19:03:19 GMT
Hi Knut,

Thank you for the links - I managed to get the Derby database to boot by
deleting the \log\log1.dat file.

After that, I was able to access all but one table. However, if I tried to
access the table (SELECT, DROP, etc.) all subsequent queries would fail.

I deleted a \seg0\XXX.dat file that corresponded to the data in the table,
which allowed me to continue using the database, even after accessing the
corrupt table... The table still shows in the database schema, but I was
able to copy the rest of the contents of the database to another database.

In the end, I was able to recover everything except for the data in the
corrupted table.

Thomas

"Thomas J. Taylor" <Thomas.Taylor@INFOTECHSoft.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have an 800MB derby database that has suddenly stopped working, giving
an
> SQLException - "Failed to start database" when started from my code and
> SQuirreL (see first stack trace). I get a different error when I try to
> start the database through IJ (see second stack trace): "ERROR XSDG3:
> Meta-data for Container ...RAFContainer@c8f6f8 could not be accessed"

Hi Thomas,

Similar errors have been reported before. See for instance

Unfortunately, no one has come up with an explanation yet.

> Does anyone know how I can recover this database?

It sounds like the database has been corrupted, so I'm afraid recovery
from backup is the only reliable way to do it.

--
Knut Anders