db-derby-user mailing list archives

From bruehlicke <bruehli...@gmail.com>
Subject Version column generated by default ?
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:16:21 GMT
Hi,

I would like a table something like

ID   BIGINT  (standart generated Identity generated always)
NAME   VARCHAR(40)
VERSION  INT

Now, I would like to be able to have the system automatically increase the
version number, but also allow to use my own and of course if version 1, 2
and 3 are used and the user selects to delete version 3 and re-create he
will not get verision 4 bu a new version 3

QUESTION:  Is there a standard "pattern" we use for this kind of columns
representing "versions" of a given thing ? Or is is good old "my own
algorithm" to maintain this baby ?

B-)