db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Starting Derby Server
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2008 08:30:03 GMT
Narayanan wrote:
> wotcha wrote:
>> Sorry if this has already been posted, but I'm a new Derby user. i've
>> created
>> an application using Netbeans 6.0 and embedded Derby DB - using the
>> tutorial
>> supplied by Netbeans - very impressed with Derby. However, the
>> application
>> works fine in Netbeans but if I want to run it outside of Netbeans I
>> have to
>> go into Netbeans to start the DB server before it will run. Is there a
>> way
>> of starting the Derby server without using Netbeans so that I can run the
>> application?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Paul
>>
> Hi Paul,
>
> You can find the information you are looking for here
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/adminguide/tadmincbdjhhfd.html.

You should also make sure that you understand the most important differences
between embedded and client/server. If you are using embedded Derby but cannot
run the application without starting the Network Server, you might need to do
some adjustments...

You can find more information about this in manuals and tutorials, for example:

  - the beginning of the Derby Developer's guide:
    http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/devguide/

  - the Getting Started with Derby Guide
    http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/getstart/

  - the Apache Derby tutorial (slightly outdated but explains the basic concepts
pretty well)
    http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/index.html

--
John