db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Jørgen Løland <Jorgen.Lol...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby Transaction Log Shipping
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 15:04:22 GMT
Duncan Groenewald wrote:
> Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to get some kind of log shipping
> working with Derby such that it is possible to create a second database
> instance that runs and periodically loads transaction log dumps from the
> primary database ?
>
> Is it even possible to load a transaction log while a database is running ?
>
> Basically I want to have a second copy of the database running in read
> only mode but still reasonably up to date, say every 15 minutes.
>
> Thanks
>
> Duncan Groenewald
> mobile: +61406291205
> email: dagroenewald@optusnet.com.au

Hi Duncan,

There is currently no such feature in Derby, but the next release will
include asynchronous replication based on log shipping from a master
version to a slave version of the database. However, the first version
of replication will not allow read operations on the slave database.

Take a look at the functional specification for replication on this
page: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2872

If what is described there suits your needs, you'll find this
functionality in the next release of Derby (ETA in a few months). If a
read-only second copy of the database is what you really need, I think
you will have to hack something together using scripts outside Derby for
now. I think I can guide you through that, but it *will* be pretty messy
and I have not tried it myself. Please let me know :)

Hope this helps
--
Jørgen Løland