db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NullPointerException in Derby driver (from at least 10.2.2.0)
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 01:59:48 GMT
Eric Floehr wrote:

> All,
>
> I’m experiencing a NullPointerException (somewhat random) apparently
> within the Derby JDBC driver (stack trace below), and am wondering if
> anyone has any suggestions on finding the root cause. I am using Derby
> 10.3.2.1 (though the problem also occurred on 10.2.2.0) with an IBATIS
> front-end (version 2.3.1.700, though it also occurred with 2.2), using
> Derby in single-user mode (direct not via server).
>
> Here is the root stack trace:
>
> Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Java exception: ':
> java.lang.NullPointerException'.
>
> at
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown
> Source)
>
> at
> org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown

> Source)
>
> ... 21 more

> at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.BaseDataFileFactory.openContainer(Unknown
> Source)
>
> at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.BaseDataFileFactory.openContainer(Unknown
> Source)
>
> at org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.xact.Xact.openContainer(Unknown Source)
>
> at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.OpenBTree.init(Unknown Source)
>
> at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.BTreeScan.init(Unknown Source)
>
> at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.index.B2IForwardScan.init(Unknown
> Source)
>
> at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.btree.index.B2I.openScan(Unknown
> Source)
>
> at org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.RAMTransaction.openScan(Unknown
> Source)
>
> at
> org.apache.derby.impl.store.access.RAMTransaction.openCompiledScan(Unknown
> Source)
>
> at
> org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.TableScanResultSet.openScanController(Unknown
> Source)
>
> at
> org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.TableScanResultSet.openScanController(Unknown
> Source)
>
> at
> org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.TableScanResultSet.openCore(Unknown
> Source)
>
> at
> org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.IndexRowToBaseRowResultSet.openCore(Unknown
> Source)
>
> at
> org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.BasicNoPutResultSetImpl.open(Unknown
> Source)
>
> at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericPreparedStatement.execute(Unknown
> Source)
>
> ... 14 more
>
> I appreciate any help or pointers you can provide!
>
> Thanks much!

> [...]
Hi Eric -
Is there any additional information provided in the derby.log file like
the SQL that was being processed?
Does the failure happen at the same point when it does happen?
What JVM are you using? If it is not a JVM that was platform tested
would it be possible for you to test with one that was? You can find a
list on this page:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenThreeTwoPlatformTesting