db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Banibrata Dutta" <banibrata.du...@gmail.com>
Subject Newbie question: "jdbc:/localhost/dbname" doesn't work
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2008 06:21:21 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to use Derby (infact from the JavaDB package), on WinXP. I have
run the Network Server, using the script (batch file) in one window. In
another window, I am using "ij". While I can connect to the server using
following commands:-

ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:/firstdb';
ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:firstdb';

however, using the following set of commands, I cannot --

ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby://localhost/firstdb';
ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/firstdb';
ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/firstdb;user=usr';

For a DB, that has already been created earlier using --

ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:firstdb;create=true';

Could someone please explain why, or point me to documentation on this. In
the reference-guide, I did see an example where the DB connection URI is
indeed of the form which doesn't work, however the example was not in the
context of the security settings !

thanks,
bdutta