db-derby-user mailing list archives

From bradm6406 <bradm6...@hotmail.com>
Subject java.security.AccessControlException doing a file write
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:39:33 GMT

Hi,

I am trying to add a custom procedure to my Derby database that will backup
the database and then zip the resulting backup folder.  I can call the
procedure with no problems and it creates the database backup using a call
to SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_BACKUP_DATABASE().  The problem comes when I try to zip
the resulting folder.

I took the zipping code from this URL:
http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds6-3/ovp63.html and added the SimpleZip
class to my package.  I then added the makeZip procedure to my database.  I
can call the makeZip procedure with no problems so I know it is registered
properly in Derby but I get an exception when the code tries to create the
zip file on the hard drive.

This is the error I am getting:
java.sql.SQLException: The exception 'java.security.AccessControlException:
access denied (java.io.FilePermission D:\derby_database\backups\20080215.zip
write)' was thrown while evaluating an expression.

I was assuming that I needed to add additional permissions to my policy
file, so I added this:

grant codeBase "file:${derby.system.home}${/}lib${/}DerbyHelpers.jar"
{
  permission java.io.FilePermission "${derby.system.home}${/}backups${/}-",
"read,write,delete";
};

That didn't work.  I still got the same error.  So I decided to try creating
a new policy file that gave all permissions to everything and see what
happened.  My new policy file looks like this:

// Give permissions to all of my Derby jar files, and my custom jar file
grant codeBase "file:${derby.system.home}/lib/-" {
  permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

// I have a copy of the Sun JRE in d:\derby\database\java\ that I am using,
give all permissions to all of the java libraries
grant codeBase "file:D:/derby_database/java/lib/-"{
  permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

This still doesn't work.  Now I'm stumped.  I'm very new to Java and just
struggling through it because we decided to use Derby for our program.  I
would have thought that giving the FilePermissions to my custom jar file
would have worked but it isn't.  Each time I made a change to the policy
file I restarted the network server just to be sure that the new policy file
has been reloaded.  I am 100% sure the policy file is being used because if
I change it so that the wrapper.jar file doesn't have the needed permissions
then I get errors when starting the service using the wrapper.

If i call the makeZip function directly from Eclipse then it creates a zip
file with no problems.  The error is only occurring when I am running the
code from within Derby.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brad