db-derby-user mailing list archives

From indianiec <indianie...@tlen.pl>
Subject Compressing DB while other process is using it
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:38:34 GMT

All,

I encountered a big problem. We recently released new software and have big
problems with disk space. When we developed it we did not notice that you
need to reclaim space after you delete rows. We need to find a solution to
that problem without releasing new software version. We just got no time. We
cannot release patch either. Too much testing is needed and issue needs to
be resolved ASAP.

We could write a script compressing DB, but because it's embedded only one
process can access it. That means stopping main application to be able to do
that.

Option number two is deleting whole database (it's used for caching and
application can recreate it no probs), but that sounds like hack. Whe may
need to do that if no other choise is left.

Ideas?

Cheers