db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "David Van Couvering" <da...@vancouvering.com>
Subject Fwd: [nbusers] Issues with Derby in customer classloader using Java 6
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2008 20:12:49 GMT
Hi, Derby folks.  John is having trouble using Derby in a custom
classloader when running in Java 6.  See the thread below.  Is this a
known issue?  Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks,

David

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Van Couvering <david@vancouvering.com>
Date: Jan 14, 2008 12:08 PM
Subject: Re: [nbusers] == I got issues with JavaDB on 6 ==
To: nbusers@netbeans.org

Wow, a lot happens when you go away for the weekend :)

it's really hard to track down what this issue is, and it looks like
you may not be motivated to help us, Johnny,  since you already moved
to H2 :)

I do want to clarify a few things though, just so there is no confusion:

- Java DB that is embedded in JDK 6 is not used automatically when you
use the Java 6 VM.  It must be explicitly included in your classpath.

- When using Java DB embedded, you can't run into incompatibilities
because derby.jar is a single jar file that contains everything you
need, from the JDBC driver to the full runtime of the database

Finally, I have a question: you mention that it works fine "outside of
a classloader" - I am having trouble picturing how a Java application
can run outside of a classloader.  Do you mean that it's using the
default system classloader?  What do you mean when it's running in a
customer classloader?

Does this problem happen outside of NetBeans or only inside NetBeans?
If it happens outside, then this is a generic Derby/Java DB issue and
we should report the bug with the Apache Derby community.

Thanks for any time you can spend on this Johnny, I know you've
already moved on :)

David

--
David W. Van Couvering