db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: ALTER COLUMN ..NOT NULL double quotes bug?
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2008 23:33:55 GMT
Geoff hendrey wrote:
> I think I have isolated a bug involving the use of double quotes to
> define a column name.

Hi Geoff, I agree, that is definitely a bug. Your script reproduces
the problem for me, on the current Derby trunk.

It appears that AlterTableConstantAction.validateNotNullConstraint
is internally generating and executing a statement of the form:

    select count(*) from tab where not (col is not null)

The code which generates this SQL staement is not properly enclosing
the column name in double quotes, as you noticed, so the compiler
converts the column name to upper case, and gets the no-such-column error.

Can you open a problem report in Jira so that we can track this down
and get it fixed?
http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html

thanks,

bryan