db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Using Derby's VTI
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:14:32 GMT
Hi Andreas,

Some comments inline...

Andreas Haufler wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> we're trying to use Derby's VTI interface in order to integrate Derby with
> Lucene. I already saw some efforts to integrate Lucene via "normal" function
> calls, but I think, using the VTI is a better approach. However, I only find
> documentation about the "Derby-style table functions" which is a feature of
> Derby 10.4 any not yet released. In the code I saw, that the VTI is also
> available in 10.3 based on PreparedStatements and some interfaces.
>
> My questions are now,
>
> 1) will these "Derby-style table functions" replace the other approach, or
> is this just a feature to easily integrate other datasources with return
> ResultSet.

Table functions are the right feature for you to use. Technically, VTIs
are an internal Derby feature used mostly for diagnostic purposes.
> 2) how do I use VTI in 10.3, I know that I have to use something SELECT ...
> FROM TABLE(??) <- but I didn't find out what goes in there.

It's not documented, as you've discovered. Your VTI would have to live
in the Derby diagnostics package. To avoid jar-sealing problems, you
would have to crack open the Derby jarball, insert your VTI class into
the diagnostics package, and re-build the Derby jarball. I think you
will end up chasing a lot of frustrating problems if you do this and I
recommend that you avoid this approach.
> 3) If "Derby-style table functions" are the way to go, when approximately
> will a release containing it be available? Mid 2008? End of 2008?

10.4 is currently targetted for late March:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenFourRelease

Hope this helps,
-Rick