db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Jim Murphy <jim.mur...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Copy varchars from table A to Blobs in Table b?
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:00:26 GMT

They do need to be blobs becasue I've always had trouble with blobs and the
fact that I support 5 DBs via hibernate I chose to structure all of my
"blob" usable via a blob table.  Anyone who uses blobs uses this
"binarydata" table that includes the blob as well as other metadata like,
length, encoding if its a string and media type id etc..

That way I isolate blob related goo in one spot and can make that work for
all the db flavors etc without having my team trickle blobs and clobs
everywhere - which as silly as it sounds - ends up creating more hassle.
Its offly simple for us to add a BinaryData Java clas dependency and get
blobby functionality for free.

So thats why they need to be blobs.  Because for my app everything thats
stream oriented is.

Jim