db-derby-user mailing list archives

From blyon <Bruce.L...@xerox.com>
Subject Re: getImportedKeys() and getTables() return no rows
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2008 15:52:05 GMT

Well, first of all, the "ij" tool that derby provides for interactive
command-line SQL is case-insensitive for table and column names; if you
execute all lower-case sql (as I did when I created my tables) the table and
column names in derby come out all upper case.

Second, when I execute sql commands using Statement.executeQuery(String), I
get the correct answer using all lower-case table and column names. I can
also get the derby column names from the result set meta-data after a query
such as "select * from service order by name" when the derby table name is
apparently really SERVICE and the column name really NAME.

So I was programming against derby for quite some time before I found that
the case of the table or column names mattered; hence my bafflement when my
attempts to get database meta-data (as opposed to result set meta-data) did
not work.