db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: [nbusers] Issues with Derby in customer classloader using Java 6
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 06:55:20 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Van Couvering" <david@vancouvering.com>
To: "Derby Discussion" <derby-user@db.apache.org>; <john@kewlstuff.co.za>
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:23 PM
Subject: Re: [nbusers] Issues with Derby in customer classloader using Java
6

> Thanks for the excellent details.  I think what's new in Java 6 is
> JDBC4, which includes an entirely new set of subclasses of exceptions,
> including SQLTransientException.
>
> I *suspect* that this is either the new exception code that was needed
> to comply with JDBC4 in Derby or the new exception classes in JDBC 4
> itself that are causing issues.
>
> It's odd that nobody else has hit this yet - a *lot* of people are
> running Derby inside J2EE containers on Java 6...

Yes exactly... which worries me... maybe throwing my toys around and its my
problem ;)
I think the sensible thing is to let it lay for a while, I'm doing some
heavy stuff so I may be in an area that normal people never want to be, or
go.

One last thought I had was "wonder what the other dB JDBC versions are"...
Ran this code
            Driver d = DriverManager.getDriver(dbURI);
            int major = d.getMajorVersion();
            int minor = d.getMinorVersion();

For jdbc:h2  it gives Major 1 Minor 0
For jdbc:hsqldb it gives Major 1 Minor 8

I have no idea what that means... The Derby stuff I tried was the very
latest on the site, and the very latest J6 download.

I have a feeling that others are lagging behind JDBC4 and if so this will
come back and haunt me.
.... I think the sensible thing is to leave it until is shows its head
again... but thanks, v nice