First, thanks everyone for the responses.  Unfortunately I'm trying to add derby support to a previously existing open source app and I'd like to not have to rewrite the entire deployment code to do this.  As a workaround, is it possible to force a particular return from derby so that it won't throw an exception?  Could I get the effect I'm looking for using a CASE WHEN?