db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: newbie question
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:30:45 GMT
Brad Berens wrote:
> First, thanks everyone for the responses.  Unfortunately I'm trying to
> add derby support to a previously existing open source app and I'd
> like to not have to rewrite the entire deployment code to do this.  As
> a workaround, is it possible to force a particular return from derby
> so that it won't throw an exception?  Could I get the effect I'm
> looking for using a CASE WHEN?
Hello Brad,

What exactly are your requirements?
Can you for instance create a stored procedure to thandle the logic for
you? This would require that you use a CallableStatement instead of a
PreparedStatement (or a Statement), and that you install the stored
procedure into the database. This is not a solution if you are looking
for a portable way of doing this... The portable way would probably be
to use the metadata calls, as already mentioned by Dyre.
I am not aware of any way to force Derby to not throw an exception.

When it comes to CASE WHEN, I don't think you can issue DDL operations
as part of it.

I personally think handling the issue in the application is the easiest
way of dealing with this, but maybe someone else has some smart ideas?

regards,
--
Kristian