db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Ivan B <pub...@bojerco.com>
Subject Re: Commercial Support for Derby
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:45:06 GMT
Thank you. That is also what I gathered reading through replies and
doing some more research on the net. It seems that the only way
we (my company) can do this is to just go with JavaDB. This also
(arguably) means that there will never be a commercial support
for Derby as it would be completely redundant.
I just hope that Sun developers don't decide to follow their own path
sometime further down on the road and de-attach themselves
from the open-source-Derby. I feel that at some point there might be a
conflict of the interest (read: political BS) in regards to the
business model (e.g. if we do *this* feature people will buy more Sun's
app servers) and that these 2 distributions (JavaDB and Derby)
might take a different code paths.

I have a hard time digesting that all this was done "just" for the legal
purposes, but I really have no idea...just speculating at this point.

In any case, I really appreciate everyone's feedback as it helped me to,
at least, make educated decision.

- Ivan