db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: SqlException With Returning Data For First Row
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:59:01 GMT
digi_pixel wrote:
> When running my Java program a SqlException is thrown when trying to return
> data from the ResultSet. What is really strange is that the first row is
> reported as being present using the ResultSet's first method. I am using the
> "sample" DB that comes with NB 5.5.1. Upon a closer inspection of the rows
> with the Customer table using NB's DB Explorer I can see all the rows and
> what they contain of course.
>
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p14180306/Derby%2BSqlException.txt Derby
> SqlException
>
> If my program was successful in retrieving the data from the first col (0)
> of the first row then I should not expect to get the following:
>
>     Invalid argument: parameter index 0 is out of range

Without seeing your code, I can only speculate about what the problem
is. However, your problem may be that you are trying to retrieve the
first column using the index 0. Annoyingly, the JDBC methods use
1-based, not 0-based indexing. So the first thing to verify is that you
are retrieving the initial column using index 1, not 0.

Hope this helps,
-Rick