db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <de...@segel.com>
Subject RE: Commercial Support for Derby
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2007 21:00:49 GMT

Just some clarifications....

First anyone can offer a support package for Derby. Its licensed under
Apache's licensing agreement which means you can do pretty much whatever you
want to do, as long as you mention that the code stream came from Apache.

Sun is probably taking the approach that they will only sell a support
agreement to products that they can control. So its both a business and
legal decision. (Consider Sun's potential risk/liability)

IBM has withdrawn their support licensing for Cloudscape. (Or will be
withdrawing it shortly. I fogot the EOL date...)

With respect to Sun, they only want to support *their* product which is a
specific release of Derby. (Yes I know it's the *same* as the Apache release
as to the content, but I believe they have their own code stream / release)

As to your point about "branching" the code down the line, that could
happen. But right now, Sun has a major influence over the code stream and if
they want something in there, it will be in there.

Since you require a support agreement, I guess if you want to use
Derby/JavaDB then you'll have to use Sun's distribution.