Hi

I have attached the Java source file. The error is as follows when I run the program:

------------------------------

SimpleApp starting in embedded mode.
Loaded the appropriate driver.
Connected to 24k
exception thrown:
java.sql.SQLDataException: Invalid character string format for type int.
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unkn
own Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source
)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException
(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedResultSet.noStateChangeException(Unkn
own Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedResultSet.getInt(Unknown Source)
        at SampleApp1.go(SampleApp1.java:66)
        at SampleApp1.main(SampleApp1.java:23)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Invalid character string format for type int.
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknow
n Source)
        at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransport
AcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)
        ... 7 more
Caused by: ERROR 22018: Invalid character string format for type int.
        at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown So
urce)
        at org.apache.derby.iapi.types.SQLChar.getInt(Unknown Source)
        ... 3 more
SampleApp finished

When I run the same query through the 'ij' tool on the console, it works fine.

The create table statement is as follows:

CREATE TABLE USERS(
uid BIGINT PRIMARY KEY,
email VARCHAR(50) UNIQUE NOT NULL,
passwd VARCHAR(15) NOT NULL,
firstname VARCHAR(20),
lastname VARCHAR(20),
date_of_birth DATE,
place VARCHAR(50),
aboutme VARCHAR(500),
myblog VARCHAR(50)
);

Am using db-derby-10.3.1.4-bin. So , the version is 10.3

Looking forward for comments
Thanks
-Aneez

Thomas Nielsen <Thomas.Nielsen@Sun.COM> wrote:
Bernts point is still very valid - you should catch Exception, not
Throwable. My bad!

catch (Exception e)
{
System.out.println("exception thrown:");
e.printStackTrace();
}

BR
Thomas