Hi all,

In Oracle, when you want to update a BLOB, you have to do this first:

set my_blob_column=empty_blob();

...which initializes it and opens it up for writing. Oracle has a concept of a "locator", which I guess is similar to a pointer or handle to the BLOB object, and it is required in order to start streaming data to it. Just setting my_blob_column=null doesn't do the same thing.

Anyway, I'm trying to port this currently-Oracle app to Derby and of course Derby doesn't like the reference to empty_blob(). Can someone put me in the picture regarding the way in which you initialize BLOBs for update in Derby, maybe posting a code sample or a link to the relevant docs? I've had a quick scan through the docs and Google without much success...

TIA
Nick