hi all

thanks for your help.

should i regularly call SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_CHECKPOINT_DATABASE

every day or so? what happens if the db gets a kill -9 and the checkpoint was not done?

thanks

fabian

----------------

Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hatlen@...> writes:

>>> Hi Fabian,
>>>
>>> Are the dat files still there after you have performed a shutdown of the
>>> database? (DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:mydb;shutdown=true"))
>>>
>>> --
>>> Knut Anders
>>
>> hi knut
>>
>> thanks for your reply.
>> the shutdown did clean up the dat file (table and index). but is there
>> another way - i'd like to keep the db running if possible.
>
> I think the unused dat files are deleted during the checkpoint (which is
> invoked when you have 10 MB of transaction logs), so they'll eventually
> go away.

Yes, unless you have backed up the database with log archival mode
set:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/ref/rrefbackupdbenablelogproc.html

> I don't know of any way to trigger a checkpoint manually (other
> than shutting down the database or performing lots of updates) or if

There is the SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_CHECKPOINT_DATABASE system procedure.

Thanks,
Dag