db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Performance impact of "upgrade=true"
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2007 01:18:59 GMT
Jose de Castro <jose.decastro@voxeo.com> writes:

> I'd like the ability to simply drop in a new version of Derby without
> having to change possibly hundreds of data source files. Is there any
> reason why I shouldn't make "upgrade=true" part of my standard JDBC
> connection URL? How does it affect the boot time? Is there any
> ongoing performance impact aside from boot time?

In 10.3, if you are using authentication
(derby.connection.requireAuthentication=true) *and* sql authorization
(derby.database.sqlAuthorization=true), the upgrade operation is
limited to the database owner.

(See also
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.3/devguide/cdevcsecureDbOwner.html)

If you supply the upgrade flag, Derby first will boot *without* the
upgrade flag to authenticate the user as database owner, and, if it is
OK, will reboot *with* the upgrade flag set (this happens whether an
upgrade will actually be performed or not). If you do not run with sql
authorization, the upgrade operation is not restricted, and the
supplying the flag redundantly has no downside.

Thanks,
Dag