db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: drop table does not delete .dat files
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 10:53:51 GMT
Fabian Merki <fabian2007@merkisoft.ch> writes:

>> > hi all
>> >
>> > i've just recognized that drop table does not delete .dat files.  is
>> > this a feature or a bug? google did not help to answer this question
>> > ;-(
>>
>> Hi Fabian,
>>
>> Are the dat files still there after you have performed a shutdown of the
>> database? (DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:mydb;shutdown=true"))
>>
>> --
>> Knut Anders
>
> hi knut
>
> thanks for your reply.
> the shutdown did clean up the dat file (table and index). but is there
> another way - i'd like to keep the db running if possible.

I think the unused dat files are deleted during the checkpoint (which is
invoked when you have 10 MB of transaction logs), so they'll eventually
go away. I don't know of any way to trigger a checkpoint manually (other
than shutting down the database or performing lots of updates) or if
there's another way to delete the files.

--
Knut Anders