db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Raymond Kroeker" <raym...@raykroeker.com>
Subject Re: Derby in a Java based desktop application
Date Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:46:07 GMT
Hi Nitin,
    I cannot speak for H2; however I can say that for my desktop application
I switched from HSQLDB to Derby for LOB support.  I last checked a while
back; however my experience with HSQLDB was that without a code change the
entire LOB was loaded into memory before being persisted.

Raymond

On Nov 23, 2007 12:48 AM, Nitin Gupta <nitin.gupta@srishtitechnet.com>
wrote:

>  Hi All,
>

> I am developing a java based desktop application which is required to work
> across platforms. As I am new to embedded databases, I am confused about
> which database should I go with. I have come across following choices:
>

> -          Derby
>
> -          HSQLDB
>
> -          H2
>

> I would highly appreciate if you can help me in selecting the appropriate
> db or can give me some information about the pros and cons of each.
>

> About the application:
>

> Application is required to support clob/blob data types. Also, there
> should be a provision for indexing.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Nitin Gupta
>
> Srishti TechNet Pvt. Ltd.
>
> B1/168, Paschim Vihar,
>
> New Delhi - 110063
>
> ---------------------------------------
> ( Tel: +91 11 45587193
>
> Skype: nitin.gupta.183
>

> Any comments or statements made in this email are not necessarily those of
> Srishti TechNet Pvt. Ltd. The information transmitted is intended only for
> the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
> and/or privileged material. If you have received this in error, please
> contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. All e-mails
> sent from or to Srishti TechNet Pvt. Ltd. may be subject to our monitoring
> procedures.

Raymond Kroeker